Managing your foreign currency
The HSBC Currency Account is an easy-to-manage currency holding account, with no monthly account fee. With accounts available in 14 major currencies, it allows you to make payments into and out of your accounts.
Designed to support your international lifestyle, with easy access to your account via online banking, you can manage your finances wherever you are in the world.
- No account feeThere's no monthly fee for the account and no payment fee when sending money to another HSBC account anywhere in the world. You can also send money to non HSBC accounts outside the UK fees may apply.
- Live exchange ratesWith live rates updated by the second during market hours, we'll provide you with our most up-to-date foreign exchange rate available when sending money.
- Online accessYou can easily make transfers between your HSBC accounts or send money to an account outside the UK via online banking.
- Managing your paymentsYou can create immediate payments to send money outside the UK, or set these up online up to a year in advance or on a recurring basis.
- Bank in the currency of your choiceChoose to hold your account in one of 14 major currencies including Euro, US Dollar and Chinese Renminbi.
HSBC Currency Account
Find out how to apply for a HSBC Currency Account today
How to apply for a HSBC Currency Account
Services in our branches and contact centres are currently limited because of the coronavirus outbreak. Unfortunately we are unable to offer new products in branches or contact centres, or set up appointments at the moment.
If you’ve applied for a new account online recently, please allow extra time for your application to be processed as the queues are longer than usual – no need to call us, we’ll let you know when it’s ready to use.
We’re also receiving far more calls than usual, so our wait times are longer. Please check the information on our dedicated coronavirus hub page, which is updated regularly. Please only call us if it’s urgent, so we can help those most in need.
Are you eligible?
To apply for an HSBC Currency Account you need to:
- hold an active HSBC current account (excluding Basic Bank Account)
- be 18 years of age or over
If you're not yet an HSBC customer, find out more about our current accounts.
Apply online in minutes
Apply by phone or in branchExpanded press enter to collapse Collapsed press enter to expand
HSBC Currency Account Fee Information Documents
Glossary of Terms
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I pay into the account?Expanded press enter to collapse Collapsed press enter to expand
How do I make a withdrawal from my account?Expanded press enter to collapse Collapsed press enter to expand
How much will it cost?Expanded press enter to collapse Collapsed press enter to expand
Which exchange rate is used?Expanded press enter to collapse Collapsed press enter to expand
Is interest applied to the HSBC Currency Account?Expanded press enter to collapse Collapsed press enter to expand
How much can I send?Expanded press enter to collapse Collapsed press enter to expand
How do I cancel a payment?Expanded press enter to collapse Collapsed press enter to expand
How long will it take?Expanded press enter to collapse Collapsed press enter to expand
1European Economic Area includes Aland Islands, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guiana, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Martinique, Mayotte, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portuga, Reunion, Romania, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, St-Martin, Sweden and Switzerland and UK
You might also be interested in
We deliver direct to your door or to your nearest branch. Enjoy fee free next working day delivery on all orders £100 or more.
Send money quickly and securely outside the UK using our International Payments service. Fees may apply