What is a Secure Key?
We take your online safety very seriously. If you use online or mobile banking, our Secure Key gives you added protection against the threat of fraud. As well as your normal username and passwords, you’ll generate a code from your device, which only you have access to.
How does a Secure Key work?
The Secure Key generates a temporary code which you then use to access mobile and online banking. To generate the code, you need a PIN or password known only by you - or you can use Touch ID, Face ID or Android Fingerprint if your device has these features. The Secure Key means only you can access your accounts.
Fraud alert: Don't fall victim to a scam. Never give out your security codes to anyone. Criminals pretend to be people you trust like a company you'd pay bills to, HSBC or even the police. For more information, please visit our Security centre.
Get help with your Secure Key
Find out how to reset your log on details and much more.
If you need to reset your details, check out our step-by-step interactive guide
Why choose the Digital Secure Key?
- Convenience - it's part of the HSBC UK Mobile Banking app
- Use it to log on to the HSBC UK Mobile Banking app and online banking
- Easy access – As the Digital Secure Key is integrated into the app, you will not need to generate a code to log on, just use your Digital Secure Key password
- Biometric ID – if you have a compatible iPhone, iPad or Android phone, you can log on using Touch ID, Face ID or Android Fingerprint.
- It's quick and easy to set up and make new payments
- As long as you have your mobile device you'll have full digital banking access
How to upgrade to the Digital Secure Key
The Digital Secure Key is available on iPhone, iPad and Android phones running up-to-date software, as long as you have the HSBC UK Mobile Banking app. To upgrade to the Digital Secure Key, follow the instructions below.
If you’re having any trouble upgrading from a physical Secure Key to a Digital Secure Key, call us on 03456 002 290.
You can set up a Digital Secure Key on Android phones and Apple1 phones and iPads running up-to-date software. You’ll first need the HSBC UK Mobile Banking app, which you can download on:
- iPhones and iPads running iOS 12 or higher
- Android devices with an operating system of 5.0 or higher