Top of main content
Young man moving into student halls

Different types of insurance for students

Whether you’re moving into halls, a shared-house or digs of your own, taking out insurance can give you peace of mind that if the worst happens you’re covered.

There are different types of insurance for students, so it’s worth looking into each one to find the right type and level of cover for your individual circumstances.

Student contents insurance

If you’re heading to uni with anything of value, taking out contents insurance for students can provide an extra bit of security for your belongings. Typically contents insurance protects you if certain items get lost, damaged or stolen, and you may be able to add additional items to be covered under your policy.

However, it won’t cover your items for general wear and tear. Before taking out contents insurance, check if you’re covered under your parents' contents insurance policy. If you’re living in halls, you may have cover through the provider of your accommodation – but this should always be checked.

Insurance for tech

You may want to look at taking out gadget insurance to protect some of your most important belongings. Be sure to check your contents insurance first as it may also cover your gadgets under an extra cover.

For example, HSBC Student Insurance offers Personal Computer Equipment cover for laptops, tablets and headphones. You may also be able to get insurance for your smartphone through your mobile provider or through another insurance provider.

Again, there are often different levels and types of cover to choose from, so it’s important to take some time to find the right policy for you.

Travel insurance

If you’re planning a trip abroad travel insurance can give you cover if your trip doesn’t quite go to plan. You can get cover for a number of things, including medical emergencies and lost luggage, as well as cover in the event your trip gets cancelled or delayed.

If you do take out travel insurance make sure you look at exactly what’s covered. For example, sports like snowboarding and skiing are often not part of a standard travel policy, so you may want to add as additional cover.

What next?

You may not think you need insurance when you’re heading off to university, but it’s important to weigh up the advantages and disadvantages to see if it would be right for you. All insurance policies come with their own terms and conditions, these should be read before you purchase the policy to ensure it meets your needs and that the conditions for claiming are understood.

Terms, conditions, exclusions and limitations apply.

HSBC Student Insurance is provided by Aviva Insurance Limited.

It’s easy to get in touch online. Talk to us directly through our chat channels.